Starting an Official Chapter
Official Chapters** are recognized as self-motivated groups of individuals that understand the Movement’s train-of-thought and advocate the social direction expressed in the Orientation Guide. Chapters are focused on on-the-ground public awareness, education and communication-based actions.
- Purpose: Facilitate TZM awareness activism in your area (currently focused on on-the-ground communication of TZM’s train-of-thought and our educational imperatives through public interaction)
- Personal Understanding: Of the Movement’s Orientation Guide or Orientation Video so you can communicate and answer questions.
- Web Presence: Official Chapters maintain a website of membership and events. (Contact TZMVirginia@gmail.com to learn about setting up a website like ours on WordPress.com)
- Relevance: Chapter membership and websites stay relevant to what TZM is about. (i.e. No outside organization advertising, projects, fundraising or agendas as the chapter focus)
- Stay in communication: Participate in an online meeting at least once a month. ZMCA meetings are in Teamspeak.
- Connect the Network: As an official chapter please link back to ZMCA.org on your site and your chapter will be listed as an official chapter here on ZMCA.
Each coordinator understands this is a voluntary role and express, through the desire to take on the role, that you advocate the points above and support the Chapter Quickstart Guide.
*Coordinator positions get re-posted as OPEN if any of the following apply: A coordinator becomes unresponsive to email communication, or one’s actions no longer fit the description of the role, or a chapter becomes dormant.
**It is not necessary to create an official chapter in order to advocate this information to others. Many people elect to do their own thing in their own way, and that’s great! Some don’t have time to coordinate due to life needs, and sometimes chapters are viewed as vehicles for “causes” or “patchwork projects” (i.e. growing food, co-ops, protest groups, political campaigns, transition towns, building cities, communes, etc). These avenues are open to all but are not the focus of Movement chapters. For more information please see these articles about our structure.
You’re on your way to starting a chapter!
The foundation to being a coordinator can be expressed through this famous quote: “The Things to do are: the things that need doing, that you see need to be done, and that no one else seems to see need to be done. Then you will conceive your own way of doing that which needs to be done — that no one else has told you to do or how to do it. This will bring out the real you that often gets buried inside a character that has acquired a superficial array of behaviors induced or imposed by others on the individual.” (Buckminster Fuller)
Here are some steps to take:
- Hold meetings for your group
- Once or twice a month
- Post them on the calendar of your website
- Send out notices to your members
- Get a TZM/TZM Virginia banner
- 3’x6′ for table/booth events
- 3’x16′ for freeway activism
- Buy DVD’s of Zeitgeist Addendum & Moving Forward
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for DVD information
- approx $.71/DVD sleeved (Addendum) approx $1.00/DVD sleeved (Moving Forward)
- There is a minimum order requirement
Be sure to Email TZMVirginia@gmail.com or call 1 (434)-260-0838